Tuesday 30 November 2010

Strange coincidence? Paranoia? - and what are the chances?

Yesterday I expressed my concerns at the serious damage the Wikileaks drip-feed would do to the diplomatic world and, in particular, to future relations with the United States.

Part of my theme was to express tremendous admiration for George Marshall, the man who conceived the Marshall Plan - the US-funded aid that helped rebuild Europe after World War 2. I don't think I pulled my punches about the way that once-great society has lost its way either.

Now comes the paranoia bit!! Within two hours of posting my blog I got an email from this organisation

http://www.marshallfoundation.org/

Who seem to have somewhat turned the Marshall agenda to the military/right's own viewpoint but, nevertheless are promoting a truly great man.

But TWO HOURS LATER? Spooky or what? Am I to assume that I no longer have to express my views here? If I speak directly to the light-fitting, will I save Langley time and effort?

I am a good swimmer and I like the sun - even so, I hope not to be taking a waterboarding holiday in Gunatanamo any time in the near future.

One final bitch - one of the less-publicized Wikileaks was that the Americans didn't like the extradition treaty - you know, the one they have not ratified that means that a British citizen can be deported with no evidence being presented but none of them are subject to - yes, that one.

Oh God!! A knock at the door.............

Dum Spiro Spero

3 comments:

  1. Hi Roy,

    Maybe not as spooky as you think. I'd guess they probably had a Google Alert setup which your post triggered.

    http://www.google.com/alerts

    Quite usefull really.
    Cheers,
    Iain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roy,

    It was all driven by the ubiquitous Google as the previous poster has mentioned. Timely yet innocent enough. We are keeper of the flame for George C. Marshall, a leader with many talents and many facets, and appreciate your obvious respect for him. All the best,

    Rick Drake
    George C. Marshall Foundation

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's interesting - I was not aware of the Google Alerts service. I am not sure I like the idea (in the context of net neutrality and/or security)of this service though.
    Thanks Iain and Rick for adding to my education though.
    Roy

    ReplyDelete