Thursday 12 August 2010

A personal profile

I just rediscovered this fragment of Dryden.

Funnily enough, I used this as a sort of jokey dedication to my tutor at Oxford in my first thesis (I was a chemist and he was a true renaissance man) in the 70's.

As I age, I feel it applies more and more to me.

A man so various, that he seem'd to be
Not one, but all mankind's epitome.
Stiff in opinions, always in the wrong,
Was everything by starts, and nothing long;
But in the course of one revolving moon
Was chemist, fiddler, statesman, and buffoon:
Then all for women, painting, rhyming, drinking,
Besides ten thousand freaks that died in thinking.
Blest madman, who could every hour employ
With something new to wish, or to enjoy!
Railing and praising were his usual themes,
And both, to show his judgment, in extremes:
So over violent, or over civil,
That every man with him was god or devil.
In squandering wealth was his peculiar art:
Nothing went unrewarded but desert.
Beggar'd by fools, whom still he found too late,
He had his jest, and they had his estate.



Dum Spiro Spero

No comments:

Post a Comment